Improved ranking system for League of Legends
As you know, I’ve been playing League of Legends for over 6 years now.
And you probably also know that I’m a hard stuck bronze player.
However, I’ve seen plenty of games where I was simply baffled: “these morons are silver 2, yet I’m hard stuck in bronze?”
So, I started to think, what could be going on, why am I still in bronze.
I’ve made major improvements in my gameplay, yet, still hard stuck bronze.
More often than not, it’s because of my allies being complete morons that lose me the game.
Taking some examples of recent games:
– Warwick jungle: AFK for the first 5 minutes (coming back around 2:45 and
– Nasus top: 180 stacks at 20 minutes.
– Kayle top + Yi Jungle: feeding enemy Twitch like the red-cross movement
– Azir mid: Feeding enemy Aatrox and Ahri
– Kha’zix jungle: Invading jungle and ending up in 1v3 scenarios
These are examples of major causes of me losing games for things that weren’t in my hands.
And do remember, they were often silver 2 or 3 while I’m bronze.
You’d expect them to do way better than I do right?
Wrong, let’s look at their vision score shall we?
– Warwick jungle: 5 at 20 minutes
– Nasus top: 7 at 20 minutes
– Kayle top: 5 at 20 minutes
– Azir mid: 3 at 20 minutes
– Kha’zix jungle: 4 at 20 minutes
They had pretty much not done anything for vision the entire game.
Yet, I’m the hard stuck bronze.
This made me think: “Why are these morons dictating whether I can climb or not?”.
And don’t get me wrong, I’m not some challenger player (I still make way too
I’ve talked it over with a friend of mine and he agreed with me.
He’s currently around Diamond 3 but can’t get past it because (according to what he says), the toxicity rate there is very high.
If somebody in the game doesn’t like you, you will lose the game.
And again, I started to think: “Why don’t we make a system that actually evaluates you on your skill?”
So I started to think more and eventually came up with a little concept on how it could be done.
This system has a lot of benefits, namely:
– You get more incentive to play any game (winning or losing) to the best of your ability.
– You get rewarded more for improving your weak points.
– You’ll get punished harder for griefing (
– Rewards for griefing are almost non-existent.
– Rewards for boosting will get diminished heavily.
– Smurfs will get to their “proper” ranks sooner.
So how is this accomplished? well, let me explain.
First of all, we have to establish what makes a good player a good player.
– Is somebody a good player because he manages to perform very well in his role?
– Is somebody a good player because he got lucky and got a team that weren’t a bunch of morons?
If you, like me, chose the first option, then keep reading, else, there is nothing left for you to read here.
So now that we have all the information, I can start with explaining the system.
In this system, you are playing the game like any other game, except that you are not only playing against the people in your current game but also those who have played past games (including yourself).
More often than not, every rank has an “average” on certain key aspects of the game.
– A silver ADC will have a better GPM score than an Iron ADC.
– A platinum
Once we’ve done some quick math on what the “averages” are for a certain role in a certain rank (and possibly even certain champions as well), we can compare our current game to them.
– It seems that this Gold 3 Lee Sin player has the same objective control, vision score and kill participation as a platinum 2 Lee Sin player, he could maybe be better than Gold 3?
– It seems that this Bronze 4 Sona player has the same objective control, vision score and kill participation as a diamond 1 Sona, he could be better than bronze 4?
– It seems that this Bronze 2 Blitzcrank has the same objective control, vision score and kill participation as an iron 3 Blitzcrank, I think he might not belong here?
As you see, you are being evaluated based on your actual performance instead of your win/loss ratio.
This system can be combined with the more conventional ranked system as we have now to have tiers and promos, or we use Overwatches system where it’s based solely of your LP (or as Overwatch calls it “SR”) with no promo games at all.
Now how does this come together with those benefits I mentioned?
Let’s have a look
– You get more incentive to play any game (winning or losing) to the best of your ability: Since even with a loss you can gain MMR as long as you play better than the average.
– You get rewarded more for improving your weak points: The more you get above the average on your rank, the faster you’ll climb
– You’ll get punished harder for griefing (
– Rewards for griefing are almost non-existent: Only your own MMR will be heavily affected. At most your allies will have a minor decline in MMR.
– Rewards for boosting will get diminished heavily: The person you’re trying to boost still has to perform above-average to climb along with you.
– Smurfs will get to their “proper” ranks sooner: the better you perform, the faster you’ll climb.
It’ll have some major issues (eg. abusing under-used champs to climb) but those actually have the benefit of making even those under-used champs get some loving as well.
I hope you guys enjoyed reading this and agree with me (or come with some constructive critisicm).
If you did, please do make sure to leave your comments below, share this post around and maybe, Rito will finally fix their broken ass ranked system!